Do you enjoy working with young students and their families, have a record of successful teaching in a formal or informal environment, a capacity for working with a range of attention spans, and experience with integrating appropriate educational technologies into a teaching environment? Are you currently an elementary or middle school teacher, museum educator, recent Teach for America participant, or career changer, ready to take on a dynamic role in a growing progressive school in Austin, Texas? If so, Emergent Academy would like to hear from you. As an integral member of the academic team, you will partner with other members of the academic team to oversee and and enhance the academic program. This is a three-quarter to full-time year-round position located in the vibrant Rollingwood neighborhood of Austin, Texas.
About The School
Emergent Academy believes today's students are natural investigators, researchers, and synthesizers of information. We believe that the one-size-fits-all, studying the same thing, at the same time, in the same way model is outdated and hinders success. Emergent School’s mission is to inspire each child who enters our doors to find the spark that will set them on their life's journey. Emergent has developed a nascent and evolutionary model for advancing students. Emergent’s 8th graders are passing community college English courses and 5th graders and are tackling 8th grade math courses. These results are possible because of Emergent Academy’s student-directed, multi-subject and experiential approach to student learning.
Guides provide daily individualized instruction and build impactful mentoring relationships with Emergent students. They help students complete their academic work and navigate places where they are stuck in their understanding.
Role and Responsibilities
- Work with students 2-4 days per week for four hour sessions at the Emergent Academy campus.
- Build authentic relationships with kids
- Work with students until students are ‘un stuck’
- Ensure that students find academic balance among their courses.
- Appropriately and effectively coach students, driving them to be their best
- Work with students on core skills in the morning (9-noon)
- Serve as subject matter expert in at least one core area.
- Ensure that no one is held back by their class