Department: Freedom Center
The George Mason University Freedom Aquatic and Fitness Center is seeking part-time (20-40 hours/week) Camp Counselors for Summer 2017. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Camps will begin on June 19, 2017, and end on August 25, 2017. Counselors must be available to work until at least August 11, 2017. Counselors are the primary caregivers for each camper. Please note this position is located on the Science and Technology (formerly Prince William) campus in Manassas, Va.
- Assist in the planning, development and implementation of daily camp activities that guide campers in their personal growth and daily living skills;
- Assist in the direction, supervision and organization of campers in their camper group within activities and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes;
- Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior; and
- Maintain continuous supervision of campers.
- Must be 18 years of age prior to June 19, 2017;
- Attend mandatory training June 5-14, 2017;
- Must have two letters of recommendation, a resume, and cover letter on file prior to interview;
- Have the desire and ability to enjoy working with children of all ages;
- Be respectful and sensitive to a diverse group of campers;
- Have current First Aid/Adult and Child CPR certification by June 5, 2017 (certification must be valid through August 2017); and
- Successfully complete a tuberculosis (TB) test and provide results that are valid through August 2017.
This position is subject to a criminal background investigation. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of this process.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply online at http://jobs.gmu.edu for position number WG5765; complete the staff application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references with their contact information. Two letters of recommendation (LORS) may be uploaded at the time of application or e-mailed in a timely manner to firstname.lastname@example.org (with the subject heading, "Recommendation for Upload to WG5765 Camp Counselor) or mailed to:
The Freedom Aquatic and Fitness Center
Attention: Amanda Meiklejohn
10900 University Boulevard, MSN 5F6
Manassas, VA 20110
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.